There are several steps that you can take to avoid/prevent cross contamination during preparation:
• Wash, rinse and sanitize the cutting surface.
• Wash all utensils and knives used in preparation every time you finish with a task or between preparing different foods.
• Do NOT sample while preparing food. Saliva from your mouth will transfer over to contaminate the food you are preparing.
• Use a sanitized spoon or spatula to mix food; do not use your hands.
• Use a clean utensil instead of your hands for serving foods.