CEU’s: 2 for ARF, GH, RCFE, STRTP administrators
The World Health Organization defines an emergency as the state in which normal procedures are interrupted, and immediate measures (management) need to be taken to prevent it from becoming a disaster, which is even harder to recover from. Emergency Preparedness is the term refers to the steps you take to make sure you are safe before, during and after an emergency or natural disaster. These plans are important for your safety in both natural disasters and man-made disasters. In 2019, 67,504 weather-related events resulted in 570 deaths and 1,746 injuries. Flash floods, tropical storms and heat waves resulted in the most deaths that year.
This 2-Hour course is designed to meet the requirements toward the Continuing Education Units (CEUs) required for Certified Administrators and Direct Care Staff by providing the basic components of Emergency Preparedness Disaster Response Planning and Disaster Kit preparation in Residential Care. This course will address the care provider’s responsibility to ensure that all residents are provided with safety and security in the home/facility.
A. Identify the Types of Disasters
B. Make your Plan
C. Create your Disaster Kit
C. Plan to Evacuate
D. What Should You Keep In the Car
E. Keeping Food Safe
Navigating Through The Course:
- Please follow the course in order i.e. Start with 1, then 2 etc – you will not be allowed to jump ahead.
- Read the material and watch any videos if any, and lastly complete quizzes if any.
- You must obtain 70% on each quiz to move forward to the next lesson
- Complete Lessons first and then topics withing the lesson, if applicable.Some lessons have topics and others do not.
If a lesson or topic has multiple pages (check the bottom of the lesson/topic page for Pages 1,2,3 etc), complete the additional pages by clicking on page 1 then page 2 then page 3 etc (see image below) before moving on to the next topic or the next lesson. You can access each page by clicking on the page numbers 1,2,3 etc. IN THIS EXAMPLE, when you are done with page 3 of the lesson, mark Lesson complete and then click next Lesson
- If a Lesson has multiple topics, as seen in the picture below, you have to do the topics in the order that they are show. First complete the lesson and any additional lesson pages,if any , as explained above. Once you click the mark complete button on the lesson it will automatically take you to the next topic. As you click mark complete on each topic, it will automatically take you to the next topic in the correct order of progression.